Let’s get one thing clear – the majority of professionals spend at least eight hours at work every weekday. Per year, that’s 1,842 hours. But that’s not the end of it – in their lifetime, professionals spend at least 90,000 hours working!
Needless to say, working a job that you don’t like is a massive waste of time.
Sure, it’s risky to change jobs in the current economy. Plus, your resume may come up against an average of 250 others. Considering that recruiters take as little as 6 seconds to decide whether or not to read a resume, it’s fair to say that the job market is pretty tough these days.
But what’s at stake here is your life. You shouldn’t stick to your old job just because you’re afraid of the competition.
An easy way to face this challenge is to send a resume that works. Read the full guide to making a resume here or start with quick tips from the infographic below. It will seriously improve your chances of getting closer to your dream position.
If you rely on these 5-minute resume tricks, you’re bound to create a resume that makes a great impression on recruiters.
Here’s what you can do right now to improve your resume:
- Organize your resume so that it’s scannable, and pick a font that enhances readability.
- Attract recruiters’ attention with a compelling introduction and choose strategic keywords to keep them interested.
- Structure information in order of importance.
- Include numbers and statistics that illustrate your expertise.
- Have someone else proofread your resume to get rid of mistakes or typos. Use Grammarly or Language Tool to correct your resume too.
Your resume and online profiles should present one professional narrative – a story about a person who knows what they want and will do their best to achieve what they want.
With a revamped resume in hand, you’re ready to face recruiters and apply for your dream job.
Need more 5-minute resume tricks? Check out this infographic to polish your resume and land your dream job.
This article was contributed by guest author Natalie Severt.